If you’ve been following me on Instagram, then you’d know that I’ve had this “writing prompt challenge” thing going on for awhile. To put it simply, I post a question sticker on my Instagram Stories every Saturday, and my followers can submit one writing prompt each to me.
During the following day, I would sort through all the submissions and try to write something for them. The results will vary greatly depending on what I feel like writing. Sometimes this could mean a short story, other times a prose, or poem, or anything else in-between.
The best part from starting this initiative, for me, is that I get to build this small (but awesome!) community. I’ve seen the same people submitting their prompts from time to time, also people who were initially too shy to submit their prompts, but eventually took a leap of faith.
It brings joy to me seeing how my followers could find something in this program, especially considering how I first started the initiative because I was bored and wanted to brush up my writing skills.
So after giving it some thought, I’ve finally made a decision: I want to give back to this awesome community, no matter how small my token of appreciation might be.
Sending me a writing prompt means they’re entrusting me to write the story they envision. Whatever the finished product is, they own the writing as much as I do. I might be the hands who penned the phrases, words, and sentences. But the ideas were theirs—hence the soul of the writing shall forever be theirs, as well.
After gathering up ideas and finally deciding on one, I finally put things in motion starting last weekend’s writing prompt submissions.
In any case, during last week’s writing prompt submission, I’ve made an additional post asking everyone to vote for their favorite result, using another Question Sticker on my IG Story.
Twenty four hours later—because that’s the amount of time it takes for an Instagram Story to disappear—I’ve got myself a winner of this “crowd’s favorite”. The winner was a a short prompt titled “Iris”, submitted by the lovely @saskia_calysta.
Here’s what I sent her, as my way of thanking her for participating in the challenge:
I know this isn’t much, and honestly speaking, I can’t offer more than this at the moment. But please believe me when I say that I put a lot of thought before deciding on this particular idea.
I know that this might not appeal to everyone, and that’s perfectly fine, too! But if you’re interested in getting one for yourself, please read the information below on how to participate.
How to Participate
- Submit a writing prompt to the Question Sticker on my Instagram Stories every Saturday.
- Wait for me to write for your submission on Sundays. I will usually post the results every Sunday evening.
- Spot my next Question Sticker, prompting you guys to vote for your favorite result of the bunch.
- Feel free to share this to your friends, and let them join in the fun & vote as well.
- Wait for it! I will immediately count the result after my IG Story (with the Voting Question Sticker) disappears. If your prompt won the vote, I will contact you through Instagram DM to ask for your address so I can send your rewards.
- You must be following me on Instagram to participate.
- Only followers who live in Indonesia may participate.
- This giveaway is totally free.
- Do not change your instagram handle between the time of your submission and the time when I post my results. Instagram doesn’t change the submitter’s account name on my responses tab, so if I couldn’t find you, you wouldn’t even get your prompt result posted, let alone win any votes.
- Please only vote for the available prompt(s) on that particular week. If you vote for a non-existent prompt, or if I don’t understand what are you even voting for, I will not consider your vote at all.
For the time being, I’m planning to do this for the following month. Depending on how well the program is received by my followers, I’ll either extend the period, or end it after I run out of supplies.
I can’t promise you guys anything at this point, but for now, at least, I’m willing to give this program a try. I hope you guys are, too!
I will be posting new content every Saturdays, be it writerly stuff, or just things that I like to write about. This includes my own stories, information about my books, and things that interest me. Keep yourself updated by following me on Twitter and Instagram.